Since my post on quinoa last week, I’ve been thinking about which foods are most important to me in terms of nutrition. This led me to start thinking about what my top 5 desert island foods would be. While most ‘desert island’ lists are made for pleasure, I suppose this list would have to contain carefully thought out items that would help one to survive. Let’s start out by assuming that this island has lots of clean fresh water. My five foods would then be…
1. Oranges – oranges have been a lifesaver for me…they are a natural antihistimine and I use chewable vitamin C to stave off allergy attacks. Since I’ve been using them for this purpose, I also find that I get sick a lot less often as well.
2. quinoa– as we talked about in my quinoa post…this is pretty much a complete protein.
3. ginger– wouldn’t do much for calories, but the anti-inflammatory and medicinal uses as well as the seasoning options got this on to my list.
4. sweet potatoes – nice carbs, lots of vitamin A, and such a versatile food.
5. chickpeas– high in iron, calcium, folate, and trace minerals. One of those foods that could keep you alive for a long time!
My list is also targeted at foods that can be ground into flour. Quinoa, chickpeas, and sweet potatoes are all items that can made into nutritious flour. That would leave us even more options for versatility.
(so what comfort food could I not live without??? it’s hard for me to decide between chocolate and cheese really…cheese is my guilty pleasure. I’ve had to live without it many times in my life due to allergies, and since the birth of my son I can eat it again. Hooray! )
What are your desert island foods?